17 Sep 2020 - 31 Dec 2020
7:00 PM - 6:59 PM
Iona Secondary School
Status: Suspended until further notice
First off we truly hope this message finds you and your loved ones well! In regards to the upcoming season we wish we had more information and better news to share. Our season is currently on pause because all permits are suspended until further notice. By now most of you have deposited the partial refund that was issued as a result of the abrupt end to the Spring 2020 season.
On a better note we’d like to welcome our new PCVC Exec members!
Membership Secretary: Vernonn Mostacho
Treasurer: Leanne Mejilla
Vice President: Terran Burke
Before we officially say goodbye and thanks to our out going exec we will be transitioning the roles once we have an official start to our season (fingers crossed that we will have one this year!) At our first ever virtual AGM it was nice to see so many familiar faces. Thank you to everyone who attended and contributed suggestions, questions and discussion.
As Ontario continues to open up and the school boards start to navigate the new school year we will continue to try to secure our permits. We already have lots of ideas on how to try and make the season work but we can’t play if we don’t have gyms and poles that we can attach our nets to!
Please keep an eye open for a registration email to secure your spot for when and if we can resume PCVC. We won’t be asking for a deposit, just a registration.
Thanks and stay safe!
The deadline to renew membership for existing PCVC members for the 2019-2020 season was June 15th, 2019, and has now passed. Any member who has not renewed their membership by that deadline has been deemed to have resigned from PCVC. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any questions regarding membership renewal.
15 Jun 2019
6:15 PM - 11:00 PM
The Port House Social Bar & Kitchen
Event Type: Social Event
You are cordially invited to the 2018-2019 PCVC Annual Banquet! Another season has come to a close and we want to finish off with a bang. The event is open to both PCVC members, guests as well as tournament players. Details are as follows:
Saturday, June 15th, 2019 at 6:30 PM
The Port House Social Bar & Kitchen
139 Lakeshore Road East, Mississauga, ON
(This is the location of the former Ten Restaurant & Wine Bar)
Tickets are available at a cost of $20.00 for members or $30.00 for non-members and guests. Tickets include dinner and a complimentary drink.
– Arrive at 6:15 PM
– Cocktail Hour – 6:30-7:00 PM
– Dinner Service – 7:00 PM
Attendees will served from the Set Menu. Choices for the main are as follows:
- Southwest Chicken Dinner – Blackened chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes and seasonal Vegetables
- Steak Frites – 7 oz sirloin with fresh cut fries
- Spaghetti Marinara – Marinara, spinach, onion, roasted red pepper, basil, burrata cheese
- Salmon – Oven roasted Salmon, seasonal vegetables, coconut jasmine rice, drizzled with yogurt dill sauce
Make sure to reserve your spot early. There are a limited number of spots available. The deadline to register is June 10th, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
Playoffs will be held on May 2nd. Top-tier (teams finishing in 1st – 6th place) will play at Iona. Bottom-tier teams (teams finishing in 7th – 12th place) will play at St Paul.
Top Tier Playoffs at Iona:
Court 1: Teams #8, # 1, #7
Court 2: Teams #2, #10, #9
Net Setup: Team #7
Bottom Tier Playoffs at St Paul:
Court 1: Teams #11, #3, #12
Court 2: Teams #4, #6, #5
Net Setup: Team #12
The playoff format will be as follows:
- 3 teams are assigned each court and will play each other twice. This is similar to the schedule of games played during the regular season. Games are to 21 with a cap of 23.
- The winner of each court will advance to the playoff finals. The winning team is determined by the Win-Loss record with the following tiebreakers ( in order):
- Head-to-Head +/- between tied teams for the night
- +/- for all the games played that night
- Finishing standing in the regular season
- The playoff finals will be held between the winners of each court. The playoff winner will be determined as the best 2 of 3 game. The first two games are played to 21 with no cap. The final game, if needed, is played to 15 with no cap.
Because of the number of games which need to be accommodated and the limited time available please note the following:
- Games will start (i.e. the whistle for the first serve) at 7:15PM. Teams unable to field a legal team at that time will default their game.
- During game play teams are allowed 2 timeouts with a max duration of 2 minutes each.
Note that using substitute players from the sideline teams is not allowed during the playoffs.
The 2019 AGM was held on April 25th, 2019 at The Erin Mills Pump and Patio. The content presented at the meeting is posted here. The following is a summary of the proceedings of the AGM:
- All of the positions up for election were filled by acclamation. The position of Membership Secretary was vacated by the current Membership Secretary being nominated for the position of President. The position of Membership Secretary was filled by nomination. PCVC welcomes the following individuals to the incoming exec for 2019-2020.
- President – Matt Hartwell
- Tournament Director – Meaghan Hartwell
- League Convener – Brent Cossitt
- Secretary – Christina Chan
- Membership Secretary – Alyson Cross
- Proposal – Updated role of Secretary. This proposal updated the role of Secretary to include the responsibility for organizing social events. To pass this proposal required two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Advance Membership Renewal deadline to June 15th. This proposal eliminated the two-tier pricing (ie Earlybird/Regular) pricing for Membership Renewal. There would be a single price for renewal and the date for renewal would be advanced from August 15th to June 15th. Any new memberships or membership payments after that date would be at a higher rate than for Membership renewals. To pass this proposal required two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Flexibility to reduce the size per team to 7 members. This proposal gives the PCVC executive the ability to reduce the number of members on a team from the current 8 per team to 7 per team due to attrition from the league or other reasons such as not finding enough qualified players. If reduced to 7, there would be a 4:3 ratio of men:women on a team. A large majority of those present expressed their preference to reduce the team size to 7. A reduction of team size also impacts the number of overall members in the league and the amount of Membership revenue collected by PCVC. A large majority also expressed their willingness to accept an increase in the cost of membership fees (approximately 15%) in order to reduce the team size to 7. To pass this proposal required two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Guarantee 10 regular season league nights per season. This proposal directs the PCVC executive to secure alternate venues or extend the season as needed in order to have a minimum regular season length of 10 weeks of play. To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Set aside a “League Grant”. This proposal is to have funding of 10% over the bank balance of $15000 to be allocated for the running of ad hoc events by members or non-members. To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was REJECTED.
- Proposal – Allow Members/Non-members to run ad hoc events. The proposal to set aside the “League Grant” was amended as follows:
“If a member or non-member wants to run an incremental tournament or a pick-up night or other ad hoc event, they can apply to the PCVC Exec for approval, and if granted can run the proposed event.“
To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Draft System for Team-Making. The proposal is to replace the system of the PCVC Executive forming teams, and instead implement a draft system where 12 league members are nominated/volunteer to architect their own team. To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was REJECTED.
Due to the unavailability of the Iona gym on April 18th, all games regularly scheduled for April 18th will be moved to April 25th.
Playoffs will be held in a single week on May 2nd.
The AGM is rescheduled until the evening of April 25th.
Please see the schedule for details.
25 Apr 2019
10:30 PM - 11:30 PM
The Erin Mills Pump and Patio
Event Type: Meeting
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
**Update: The AGM Scheduled for April 18th has been moved to April 25th**
We will be holding our AGM on April 25th at our sponsor bar, the Erin Mills Pump, immediately after the weekly games end. It will also be our April incentive night. If you have submissions you want to have the membership vote on, or questions that you want the executive to address, please submit them by email to the PCVC executive at email@example.com by midnight on April 11th. As we get submissions they will be added to the agenda and posted on the website.
As happens each year at the AGM, we will be looking to fill upcoming vacancies on the PCVC executive. We will be looking for nominations for filling the following positions:
- League Convenor
- Tournament Director
Details on each role are posted here.
- 2018-2019 Season Highlights
- Executive Election
- League Vote on Proposals. The details of each proposal are available here.
- Proposal to advance Membership Renewal deadline to June 15th.
- Updated description for the role of Secretary.
- Member Submitted Proposals
- Upcoming Events
- Closing Remarks
Members not in attendance at the AGM may submit their vote for non-constitutional items here. Advance voting will be available up until 6:30PM of the day of the AGM.
Pick-up volleyball at Cawthra Park Secondary School has been cancelled due to lack of interest.
Due to a last minute permit cancellation, games at Iona are cancelled for March 28th. Games at the other gym will continue as planned.
Only on March 7th, March 28th, and April 4th, PCVC will not have access to the St Paul gym. We will play the games regularly scheduled at St Paul at the nearby school, Cawthra Park Secondary School.
The address is:
Cawthra Park Secondary School
1305 Cawthra Road,