5 Oct 2019
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Event Type: Sixes Tournament
Players will play approximately eight games (depending on number of teams) plus four full playoff games (depending on number of teams). Playoffs are broken down to pools consisting of the top, middle, and bottom tier teams according to the round robin results (depending on number of teams). Each pool winner receives prizes.
Level: Semi-Competitive/Advanced Intermediate
19 Oct 2019
9:30 AM - 2:30 PM
Philip Pocock Secondary School
Status: Wait list only
Event Type: Pairs Tournament
Register as a co-ed pair (1 male and 1 female). Each pair plays with two other pairs each game, making a co-ed sixes team. Each pair will play with and against the other participants in the tournament. The pairs with the top +/- scores will win prizes.
Cost: $40.00 per pair.
Level: Semi-Competitive/Advanced Intermediate
Format: Coed Reverse Pairs Tournament
15 Jun 2019
9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
John Knox Christian School
Event Type: Other
The Port Credit Volleyball Club (PCVC) is recruiting new members for the 2019-2020 season who have the skills necessary to play semi-competitive volleyball. The PCVC is both a sport and social club, members are encouraged to participate in social activities in addition to playing in the volleyball league and tournaments. For additional information on the league please read this FAQ.
PCVC requires that new prospective members demonstrate the required skills to play at a semi-competitive level. To establish that a new member meets that qualification, a candidate must either:
- Demonstrate their skill level at our tryout session.
- Be a past-PCVC member or player whose skills were witnessed by an executive member within the previous calendar year.
- Have played in previous PCVC tournaments and whose skills were witnessed by an executive member within the previous calendar year.
To Register for tryouts or apply for membership please click the following link:
Participants should come appropriately dressed to play and prepared to participate in drills to demonstrate their volleyball skills. A video of previous tryouts is posted at: Info Report #146 (PCVC Tryouts)
Past members and tournament players who wish to be considered for membership without attending tryouts are asked to contact our Membership Secretary.
If you have any questions, please contact the Membership Secretary at (email@example.com).
The deadline to renew membership for existing PCVC members for the 2019-2020 season was June 15th, 2019, and has now passed. Any member who has not renewed their membership by that deadline has been deemed to have resigned from PCVC. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any questions regarding membership renewal.
15 Jun 2019
6:15 PM - 11:00 PM
The Port House Social Bar & Kitchen
Event Type: Social Event
You are cordially invited to the 2018-2019 PCVC Annual Banquet! Another season has come to a close and we want to finish off with a bang. The event is open to both PCVC members, guests as well as tournament players. Details are as follows:
Saturday, June 15th, 2019 at 6:30 PM
The Port House Social Bar & Kitchen
139 Lakeshore Road East, Mississauga, ON
(This is the location of the former Ten Restaurant & Wine Bar)
Tickets are available at a cost of $20.00 for members or $30.00 for non-members and guests. Tickets include dinner and a complimentary drink.
– Arrive at 6:15 PM
– Cocktail Hour – 6:30-7:00 PM
– Dinner Service – 7:00 PM
Attendees will served from the Set Menu. Choices for the main are as follows:
- Southwest Chicken Dinner – Blackened chicken breast, garlic mashed potatoes and seasonal Vegetables
- Steak Frites – 7 oz sirloin with fresh cut fries
- Spaghetti Marinara – Marinara, spinach, onion, roasted red pepper, basil, burrata cheese
- Salmon – Oven roasted Salmon, seasonal vegetables, coconut jasmine rice, drizzled with yogurt dill sauce
Make sure to reserve your spot early. There are a limited number of spots available. The deadline to register is June 10th, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
Congratulations to the following teams for their wins in the PCVC winter 2019 season:
Regular Season Winners and Top Tier Winners: Team #8 – Made You Look
Team Picture: Team #8 – Made You Look
Consolation Tier Winners: Team #6 – Knockers
Team Picture: Team #6 – Knockers
Playoffs will be held on May 2nd. Top-tier (teams finishing in 1st – 6th place) will play at Iona. Bottom-tier teams (teams finishing in 7th – 12th place) will play at St Paul.
Top Tier Playoffs at Iona:
Court 1: Teams #8, # 1, #7
Court 2: Teams #2, #10, #9
Net Setup: Team #7
Bottom Tier Playoffs at St Paul:
Court 1: Teams #11, #3, #12
Court 2: Teams #4, #6, #5
Net Setup: Team #12
The playoff format will be as follows:
- 3 teams are assigned each court and will play each other twice. This is similar to the schedule of games played during the regular season. Games are to 21 with a cap of 23.
- The winner of each court will advance to the playoff finals. The winning team is determined by the Win-Loss record with the following tiebreakers ( in order):
- Head-to-Head +/- between tied teams for the night
- +/- for all the games played that night
- Finishing standing in the regular season
- The playoff finals will be held between the winners of each court. The playoff winner will be determined as the best 2 of 3 game. The first two games are played to 21 with no cap. The final game, if needed, is played to 15 with no cap.
Because of the number of games which need to be accommodated and the limited time available please note the following:
- Games will start (i.e. the whistle for the first serve) at 7:15PM. Teams unable to field a legal team at that time will default their game.
- During game play teams are allowed 2 timeouts with a max duration of 2 minutes each.
Note that using substitute players from the sideline teams is not allowed during the playoffs.
The 2019 AGM was held on April 25th, 2019 at The Erin Mills Pump and Patio. The content presented at the meeting is posted here. The following is a summary of the proceedings of the AGM:
- All of the positions up for election were filled by acclamation. The position of Membership Secretary was vacated by the current Membership Secretary being nominated for the position of President. The position of Membership Secretary was filled by nomination. PCVC welcomes the following individuals to the incoming exec for 2019-2020.
- President – Matt Hartwell
- Tournament Director – Meaghan Hartwell
- League Convener – Brent Cossitt
- Secretary – Christina Chan
- Membership Secretary – Alyson Cross
- Proposal – Updated role of Secretary. This proposal updated the role of Secretary to include the responsibility for organizing social events. To pass this proposal required two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Advance Membership Renewal deadline to June 15th. This proposal eliminated the two-tier pricing (ie Earlybird/Regular) pricing for Membership Renewal. There would be a single price for renewal and the date for renewal would be advanced from August 15th to June 15th. Any new memberships or membership payments after that date would be at a higher rate than for Membership renewals. To pass this proposal required two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Flexibility to reduce the size per team to 7 members. This proposal gives the PCVC executive the ability to reduce the number of members on a team from the current 8 per team to 7 per team due to attrition from the league or other reasons such as not finding enough qualified players. If reduced to 7, there would be a 4:3 ratio of men:women on a team. A large majority of those present expressed their preference to reduce the team size to 7. A reduction of team size also impacts the number of overall members in the league and the amount of Membership revenue collected by PCVC. A large majority also expressed their willingness to accept an increase in the cost of membership fees (approximately 15%) in order to reduce the team size to 7. To pass this proposal required two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Guarantee 10 regular season league nights per season. This proposal directs the PCVC executive to secure alternate venues or extend the season as needed in order to have a minimum regular season length of 10 weeks of play. To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Set aside a “League Grant”. This proposal is to have funding of 10% over the bank balance of $15000 to be allocated for the running of ad hoc events by members or non-members. To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was REJECTED.
- Proposal – Allow Members/Non-members to run ad hoc events. The proposal to set aside the “League Grant” was amended as follows:
“If a member or non-member wants to run an incremental tournament or a pick-up night or other ad hoc event, they can apply to the PCVC Exec for approval, and if granted can run the proposed event.“
To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was PASSED.
- Proposal – Draft System for Team-Making. The proposal is to replace the system of the PCVC Executive forming teams, and instead implement a draft system where 12 league members are nominated/volunteer to architect their own team. To pass this proposal required a simple majority vote of the Members present. This motion was REJECTED.
Due to the unavailability of the Iona gym on April 18th, all games regularly scheduled for April 18th will be moved to April 25th.
Playoffs will be held in a single week on May 2nd.
The AGM is rescheduled until the evening of April 25th.
Please see the schedule for details.
25 Apr 2019
10:30 PM - 11:30 PM
The Erin Mills Pump and Patio
Event Type: Meeting
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
**Update: The AGM Scheduled for April 18th has been moved to April 25th**
We will be holding our AGM on April 25th at our sponsor bar, the Erin Mills Pump, immediately after the weekly games end. It will also be our April incentive night. If you have submissions you want to have the membership vote on, or questions that you want the executive to address, please submit them by email to the PCVC executive at email@example.com by midnight on April 11th. As we get submissions they will be added to the agenda and posted on the website.
As happens each year at the AGM, we will be looking to fill upcoming vacancies on the PCVC executive. We will be looking for nominations for filling the following positions:
- League Convenor
- Tournament Director
Details on each role are posted here.
- 2018-2019 Season Highlights
- Executive Election
- League Vote on Proposals. The details of each proposal are available here.
- Proposal to advance Membership Renewal deadline to June 15th.
- Updated description for the role of Secretary.
- Member Submitted Proposals
- Upcoming Events
- Closing Remarks
Members not in attendance at the AGM may submit their vote for non-constitutional items here. Advance voting will be available up until 6:30PM of the day of the AGM.
Pick-up volleyball at Cawthra Park Secondary School has been cancelled due to lack of interest.