PCVC Code of Conduct and Ethics
PORT CREDIT VOLLEYBALL CLUB CODE OF CONDUCT AND ETHICS
- The following terms have these meanings in this Policy:
a) Individuals – All categories of membership defined in the Port Credit Volleyball Club Bylaws, as well as all individuals engaged in activities with Port Credit Volleyball Club, including but not limited to, athletes, officials, volunteers, committee members, and officers.
- The purpose of this Code of Conduct and Ethics is to ensure a safe and positive environment within Port Credit Volleyball Club programs, activities and events, by making all individuals aware that there is an expectation of appropriate behavior, consistent with the values of the Port Credit Volleyball Club, at all times.
- Port Credit Volleyball Club is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect. Further, Port Credit Volleyball Club supports equal opportunity and prohibits discriminatory practices. Members of Port Credit Volleyball Club are expected to conduct themselves at all times in a manner consistent with the values of the Port Credit Volleyball Club that include fairness, integrity, open communication and mutual respect.
- Conduct that violates this Code of Conduct and Ethics may be subject to the Port Credit Volleyball Club’s Discipline Policy.
SCOPE AND APPLICATION
- This policy applies to the Individuals defined above, relating to conduct that that may arise during the course of Port Credit Volleyball Club business, activities and events.
- This policy may apply to conduct that occurs outside of Port Credit Volleyball Club business and events when such conduct adversely affects relationships within Port Credit Volleyball Club and its work and sport environment and is detrimental to the image and reputation of the organization.
- All Individuals have a responsibility to:
a) Maintain and enhance the dignity and self-esteem of Individuals and other people by:
i. Demonstrating respect to individuals regardless of body type, physical characteristics, athletic ability, gender, ancestry, color, ethnic or racial origin, nationality, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, religion, religious belief, political belief, disability or economic status;
ii. Focusing comments or criticism appropriately and avoiding public criticism of organizers and members;
iii. Consistently demonstrating the spirit of sportsmanship, sports leadership and ethical conduct;
iv. Consistently treating individuals fairly and reasonably;
v. Ensuring that the rules of the sport, and the spirit of such rules, are adhered to.
vi. Refraining from the use of excessive profane, obscene or vulgar language in any manner, or at any time on or off the playing field.
b) Refrain from any behavior that constitutes harassment, where harassment is defined as comment or conduct directed towards an individual or group, which is offensive, abusive, racist, sexist, degrading or malicious. Types of behavior that constitute harassment include, but are not limited to:
i. Written or verbal abuse, threats or outbursts;
ii. Unwelcome remarks, jokes, comments, innuendos or taunts;
iii. Condescending or patronizing behavior which is intended to undermine self-esteem, diminish performance or adversely affect working conditions;
iv. Practical jokes which cause awkwardness or embarrassment, endanger a person’s safety or negatively affect performance;
v. Unwanted physical contact.
c) Not participate any game or competition at any time in an intoxicated condition or under the influence of any other type of drug which will infringe upon their safety or the safety of others.
d) Take reasonable steps to manage the responsible consumption of alcoholic beverages in adult-oriented social situations associated with Port Credit Volleyball Club events.
e) Refrain from objectionable demonstration of dissent by throwing a ball or any other forceful actions.
f) Respect the property of others and not willfully cause damage.
g) Comply at all times with the Constitution, Bylaws, policies, rules and regulations of Port Credit Volleyball Club, as adopted and amended from time to time.
8. No individual shall at any time physically assault, shove, or strike another individual.
9. Aggressive play that endangers the safety of others will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, frequent landing over the centre line or falling into the net while spiking or blocking, regardless of whether the ball landed first.
10. Individuals must accept the referee’s decisions with sportsmanlike conduct, without disputing them. Individuals must refrain from actions or attitudes aimed at influencing the decisions of the referees or covering up faults committed by their team. Individuals must behave respectfully and courteously in the spirit of fair play, not only towards the referees, but also towards other officials, the opponents, team-mates and spectators.
11. Inappropriate behavior may result in an immediate suspension or sanction.
This Policy was approved by the Port Credit Volleyball Club Board of Directors on the 18th day of January 2018.